Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sororities and Fraternities

The stereotype you normally hear about sororities and fraternities are not usually good. They usually are seen as organizations that have parties every weekend with a whole lot of drinking. This stereotype is what usually keeps guys and girls away from rushing. Another stereotype is that they are for the preppy, blond, and ditsy girls.

I had these same stereotypes coming into college about sororities and fraternities, but it did not take long for me to change my mind. There are a lot of sororities out there that do have a lot of drinking and if you rush and get put into that sorority or fraternity, you just have to stick to your morals and ignore all the peer pressure. This is a good reason to be involved in church or in a christian organization to help keep you strong and resist the temptations. There are also a lot of "good" sororities, many girls that I have met through christian organizations are in sororities and they have stayed strong in their relationship with God. I call some sororities good because they are mostly comprised of christian girls.

My friends who are in sororities have told me that there is drinking at some of their parties and formals but they just don't drink because it is against their morals and ethics. Being in a sorority or fraternity is a personal decision and when you choose to be a sorority, you have to be able to withstand all the peer pressure that may come with it.

Fraternities are more likely to stand up to their stereotype. I have not heard of a lot of good fraternities where guys don't have parties and drink a lot. I was recently talking to someone who used to be in a fraternity and he said that is was mostly drinking and their morals were against what he stood for. It seems to me that guys are weaker when it comes to withstanding peer pressure from other guys. The ridicule they will get is much worse than what girls get from other girls. To be in a fraternity, I feel like you have to be very strong in your walk with God and are able to withstand the peer pressure and ridicule that you will most likely get from the other guys.

To conclude, I do not think that if you are in a sorority or fraternity, your walk with God will be broken, it might be strengthened. One important thing you need to remember though is that you just need to be plugged either in your church or in a christian organization at the school to stay committed to your walk.

2 comments:

  1. I really like what you had to say. I have a relationship with God and there are lots of people i know that are telling me not to join again. I was in one but I dropped out because I was compromising my beliefs. However i would like to check out other ones because every sorority is different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you had to say but there are also christian sororities and fraternities out here too.

    ReplyDelete