Sunday, April 12, 2009

Quiet Time

One thing that I have struggled with since I became a Christian is having a quiet time every day. Coming to college has made it so much harder because of my busy schedule. It seems like homework never ends and organizations start piling up. If you have gone through this, you know how hard it is to keep up with being diligent about having a quiet time. After sticking to a schedule and having a quiet time most everyday, I have realized how my days seem to be better and I am not stressed all the time.

Last semester, I would get anxiety about my tests and after I took the tests, I would break down and cry from all the stress that I put myself through. Let's just say I was a nervous wreck going into the tests. This semester, I have been more committed to having a quiet time and it has made a huge difference with how I am when it comes to test taking. I am do not have anxiety, I am not nearly as stressed as I was, and I don't cry after a test, I am usually really happy that it is over.

I have realized that having a quiet time keeps you focused and in tune with what God wants you to be, not what the world wants you to be. You also form a stronger relationship with Him because you talk to Him and tell Him all your problems, it's like hanging out with a friend and dishing out all your problems and getting advice from them. You also learn more about God, Jesus and what being a Christian really means.

If you are like me and pretty much have a schedule for everything, set aside a time that you have available everyday and spend it with God. It will be hard at first, but once you get into that routine, it will be like a part of your day and when you do not have a quiet time, it will feel like something is missing from your day. If you are more of a go-with-the-flow person, have your quiet time when you have some time in your day. I think whether or not you need to schedule your quiet time or not, it is good to have it at the same time everyday just so that you are in a routine and you are less likely to forget.

I do my quiet time at night before I go to bed and it makes me sleep a lot better and have a good day the next day. For me, it's like getting wind down for the night.
There are a lot of positive things that come out of having a quiet time with God so, pick a time that works with you and be determined and committed to keeping up with it. Do not worry if you forget once in awhile, everyone does it, just make it part of your routine and your life will be less stressful and more joyful.

If you are having trouble choosing where in the Bible to start reading, here is a web site that has a path for you stay up with: http://www.dailybiblestudy.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment