Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Going to Church While Being Away From Home

If you grew up in a church-going family, or if you were like me and only went to church with one parent, it was part of your routine and you knew that Sunday mornings were spent at church. When you come to college, at first you are still on that routine, but then things start getting in the way and life happens. One thing I struggled with when I came to college was to keep going to church on a regular basis. I didn't have my mom there every Sunday to get me up and take me to church, she kept me accountable and when she wasn't there I got out of my routine.

One excuse I would use was that I didn't have a car, so I couldn't get to church. I still can't believe that I used that excuse, I had many friends with cars that could drive me to church and a shuttle would come and take students to a church. There is no excuse for you to not keep going to church when you come to college. When you get here, find a church home and start going every Sunday. If one of your friends is going to the same church, go together so you can keep each other accountable and on a routine. If you are like me and you get carried away with life, it is very important that you have someone in your life that is at college with you to keep you accountable.

I am lucky to have roommates who are very strong in their relationship with God and who go to church every Sunday. They are the ones who keep me accountable and on my routine. I know that every Sunday morning two of my roommates and I will go to church so when I don't feel like going to church, I start to feel like I need to go and decide to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment