Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Losing sight of what is important

When I came to college, I was encouraged to get involved in organizations and to keep up with school. As the years go on, I get more involved in organizations and the school work load keeps multiplying and it seems to take up more of my time. Because of this, something had to be put on the back burner, the thing I picked was God. This was a big mistake, I started stressing and not really living my life like a Christian. I stopped going to church because I needed to study and exercise, I stopped going to bible study because there just wasn't enough time in the day, and I stopped being really involved in activities that the Christian organizations were doing. Slowly, God fell off my priority list.

Thankfully, I had a good friend who called me out on what I was doing and I realized that I am able to do most of these things because God allows me to. Before grades were everything to me but now I know that grades are not going to matter when I get into heaven. The organizations I was in aren't going to matter when I get into heaven. My job and the money I earn aren't going to matter when I get into heaven. The only thing that is going to matter when I get to heaven is that I had a good, strong relationship with God.

It is important to not lose sight of God and what He thinks are the important things in life. It is so easy to get caught up in what the world sees as successful that you lose sight of God and what He wants. I have been there, I have lost sight of God and it is not pretty, my world almost came crumbling down on me. I started thinking like the rest of the world and it showed.
Some things that have helped me stay on track are having Christian friends that can keep me accountable, going to church on a regular basis, and being continuously filled with what God sees as important in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment