Monday, May 4, 2009

Serving

At Texas A&M, there are many on-campus organizations to get involved in to serve in the community or to serve out of state or out of country. There are also a lot of off-campus organizations that serve the same purpose. I understand that it can get overwhelming when you have all the choices but do not know what direction to go in. First thing I would tell you is that you need to pray about it. This may seem like the "Christian"-thing to do, but really it helps.

When I heard about all these organizations, I was truly overwhelmed and did not know which to join and get involved in. I prayed about it and chose to do YoungLife. I felt led to keep going on that track. I did YoungLife in high school and was a WyldLife leader my senior year of high school. There were other organizations that were specifically catered to going on mission trips to Mexico and other countries in the world. Going on Mission Trips is what I did in high school, but when I got to college, I didn't feel led to do it anymore. There was also a Freshman leadership organization that I thought I felt led to do, but God had other plans for me and I see now that I would not have been able to do the organization, younglife and school.

I guess what I am trying to tell you is that you should not get overwhelmed by all the opportunities to serve, take it as a blessing. Pray about what organization you should join and in which way you should serve. What you think God is leading you to do may not be what He really wants you to do, but in the end, trust that He knows what He is doing and that He has a plan for you and it will all work out.

Here are some websites for mission trips:
http://www.adventures.org/
http://www.globalfrontiermissions.com/shorttermtrips/studentmissions.html
http://www.missionfinder.org/medstudents.htm
~this last one is for pre-med or medical students who are wanting to go on trips themselves when they are older.

No comments:

Post a Comment