Sunday, March 1, 2009

Having A Professor With Different Beliefs

One thing about going to a secular university is that some of your professors will have very different beliefs than you and some will be on the same track as you. I have noticed that being a biology major, you run into a lot of professors that are pro-evolution, which is not something I believe in. This case doesn't just come up with science majors, you will run into professors like this in every class and in every major.

This semester, I have to take a evolution class to graduate with my major. It is very difficult for me to go to class and listen to the professor talk about how evolution is the only correct belief and that the Bible has been disproven many times. Many classes, I end up falling asleep or just getting real mad and end up not paying attention. For me, it is hard to study for something that I am not really that interested in so I have to make myself study for this class because in the long run, it can either hurt or help me with my future plans. I realized it was only a semester I had to learn about this but I didn't have to start believing in evolution.

As you go on with your college careers, you will run into more and more professors who do not share your same beliefs and they will be very blunt about it and tell you what they think about the Bible and other people's beliefs. If you do encounter a professor like this, I can tell you that getting mad every class and not paying attention is not the right thing to do. Instead, just remind yourself that you just have to learn or hear about the subject for about a semester and that you do not have to start believing in it.

One thing that has helped me is to talk to other christians about what you are going through and just fill yourself up with God's word and His spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment