Sunday, March 22, 2009

External Beauty

One thing that everyone struggles with is external beauty but when you get in college it seems to multiply by thousands. Everywhere you go, you see magazines with what the world sees as beautiful and perfection. In college, it is no different, there are girls and guys all around you that work out and with a rec center right at your fingertips, it is easy to get caught up in the commotion of getting that perfect body.

Everyone has heard of the freshmen 15 and being a freshman last year, I was terrified of gaining 15 pounds because I was worried about what I would look like to the world and how they would perceive me. Without your parents around you to keep you on track of your eating and exercising, a big responsibility is put on your shoulders to stay healthy. With all the stress of school and trying to keep grades up and worring about your future, it is easy to feel out of control.

I have found it easy to get caught up in the worldly views of what is perfect and beautiful. Something that has helped me stay grounded on what is truly beautiful and perfect is having good christian friends to help me stay accountable. They are also someone who I can lean on when I feel like I am struggling and they are someone who understands the struggles that I am going through. Getting plugged into a good church has also helped keep me on track too. With the routine of going to church, you are continually poured into with what Christ sees as true beauty and perfection.

Here is a passage of scripture that has definately helped me when I feel like the world is getting control of my feelings on what is beautiful;
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=song%20of%20songs%206:4-9;&version=65;

No comments:

Post a Comment